Thursday, May 26, 2011

Where do Side Aches Come From?


The last couple days have been like old times~well, almost!    Sleeping through the night, having a HUGE appetite, wanting to get dressed and get outside!  John and I went out to lunch to our favorite Mexican restaurant.  I got Giants tickets for John and David for the Wednesday night game that ended up being a pretty cool game!  The off week from Chemo will definitely be a catch up week.  I spent a morning with my Mary Kay director, Gayl Del Pero and enjoyed revisiting the product line, ordering new make up and skin care, catching up on the gals in our Unit and just playing "girl stuff".  This really cheered me up as my hair is starting to fall out and it helps to think of other ways to feel pretty.  My sister and I went shopping for hats and scarves and eventually I am sure I will invest in a wig.  The only problem has been a nagging side ache, that has progressively gotten worse over the past three days.  We had planned to drive to Redding tomorrow and spend the weekend with my brother, Bill and sister in law Kathy, enjoy time on their houseboat and celebrate Kathy's birthday, but this aching side got me back to the doctor this morning.  Dr. Chen and Eva, his nurse practitioner, both examined me.  Eva ordered an ultrasound which I had to wait until 5:15 tonight to have because I had eaten pancakes for breakfast!!!  The good news is my healthy appetite has gained me 6 pounds!!!
The ultrasound was negative, but the good is knowing both kidneys are functioning and not retaining any fluids.  The reason for the side is unclear.  My instructions are to resume my pain medications around the clock and be more regimented with my colace and gargling regimen.  The side ache persists after being on my feet for awhile, so I guess that means more rest needed.  I am finding patience and flexibility are key and trying not to sweat the small stuff.  I appreciate the love and support from my family, I know this is no picnic for them,  and I thank them for taking care of me.
Thank you to Lauren for a fabulous meatloaf dinner delivered to us Monday night and for joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment