Friday, May 13, 2011

Ports and Chemo Start

Wednesday morning we checked in El Camino Hospital at 11:30am and at 2:00 I was given a general anesthesia for the port procedure.  I received a Power Port under my left collarbone(IV) and a Bard port (IP) under the right ribcage/diaphragm area so that the tube will dump chemo directly into the peritoneal cavity.
The procedure was pretty uneventful except we didn't realize how the IP port would look and when we saw this bump, we thought I had an air bubble in my side and yelled for the nurse!!!  As I was getting released, I began feeling the affects of the air they pump in you for the laparoscopy to place the IP port.  I was told the gas pains will move all around, as far up as my shoulder, which they have done last night and this morning!  That isn't fun!
Day 1 Chemo was yesterday (Thursday) We arrived at PAMF Mt. View Infusion Center at 8:00am.  I tolerated all the drugs administered in the IV port without any nausea or allergic reactions.  It was actually very easy, except for the nagging gas pains.  Another funny reaction was when I saw the IV port in the mirror in the bathroom, I thought the chemo had dripped out onto my skin and burned it.  We had read that this can happen.  We rushed out of the bathroom to find my nurse Christina, and gave her a fright!  She said, No that's your incision from implanting the IV--they use glue to seal the incision!!  Well, we didn't know that!  It had been bandaged up!!!  So now we are learning all the angles of this adventure!  Chemo was completed and we left the Infusion Center at 1:00pm for home, which is my sister's house!  Thank you Debbie and David for opening your home to us and making us feel so welcomed.  Around 5:30, I started feeling warm.  I got up for the bathroom and when I returned, John and Debbie commented on how red my face was!  We called the Drs office and Dr. Pisani called back and prescribed Benedryl 50mg and Gas-Ex for the continuing gas pains.  My face is still red, but hopefully the gas pains will subside as the day goes on.  I managed about 4 hrs of sleep last night, then laid awake from 1:30-4:00am until hunger got me up!  At least I have an appetite!  Yes, I still crave pancakes, but doubt I could get John out to IHOP at 4am, so instead I settle for an english muffin with Skippy Crunchy chunk peanut butter and red raspberry preserves--this is so yummy!!  Good fat and protein in peanut butter, too!  It's a good internet hour, too, so I got some skype chats in with my best buddy Janis in Boston before they leave for France tomorrow.  So sad we can't go!!!  Next year, for sure!!  Great talking to Donna & Jerry s/v Bluejacket, while they were sailing the Albermarle Sound!
We arrived at the Infusion Center at 9:00am today to begin IP Chemo.  I have my own room for this chemo because they need to monitor my urine output to make sure my kidneys don't get damaged.  So they flush fluid through my system so they can monitor my intake and output.  Also, I will need to lay flat for most of the day to fill me up!
Fast forward, I am now home, comfortable on the couch, propped up so I can breathe as I am feeling about 4-5 months pregnant!  Between saline and chemo, John and Katie mathematically figured I had the equivalent of 13 beers!  And it's Friday the 13th and my favorite number is 3 and I am in the #3 Regimen of this Clinical Trial and I found out today that I am a Pioneer!  The first person to get IP chemo as it is being reintroduced in this trial to be approved by the FDA for ovarian cancer treatment!!  That feels pretty cool.  I got the best care today and my ports were working great!  The pictures show saline going in the IV port and the IP port accessed.  After all fluids were in, Katie flushed them with saline and heparin to keep them opened.
Then I got rolled on each side for 20 minutes to make sure the fluids could saturate and then it will take about 72 hours for it to exit completely, so it protects my kidneys.  Very cool.
Thanks for dropping by, have a great weekend everyone!  Thanks for the love & support!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a day! Please know that I think of you all the time! My prayers are with you for comfort and and healing. I love you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete